We loved the stories and ease with which Ed spoke of his adventures. Colby had found a new hero. We all did. At the time, Brady was a marathon virgin and I had completed 2.
Brady and I were fortunate to run with Ed the next month at The Marathon Show Marathon II. We became fast friends with Ed and his family. Ed's determination, selflessness, and will to finish are an inspiration to Team Wentlandt. The rest, as they say, is history.
After the heartbreak I experienced at Nanny Goat, I worked all summer to prepare for the Run de Vous 100. Seven marathons in 7 days, marathon/ultra combo weekends, and just plain mentally and physically gearing up for this endeavor. I pushed through the blisters, the sore muscles, and the fear to toe the line on August 18. I was ready.
![]() |
| Tony and I - ready to buckle! |
Run de Vous took place on a 2.01 mile loop in San Martin, California. The course is paved and easy to run. My strategy going in was to go slow from mile 1 and not stop, no matter what.
Mile 1 - 10
2 hours, 5 minutes
The race got started and I felt great. I found that my legs felt fresh and ready to go. It was a little hard at first to stay at a slower pace. I didn't have a GPS or a way to gauge my pace, so I made myself run slower than my body found comfortable. I wanted to make sure I wasn't pushing at all. I knew I was going to be out there for a really long time, so why rush? I made sure to grab a bite of something each time I passed through the aid station. I also filled up my water bottle and was making sure to hydrate. The weather was very cool and even rained on us.
Miles 11 - 20
4 hours, 22 minutes
I enjoyed the company of the other runners as much as possible. We laughed, shared strategies, and encouragement. These miles just cruised by. I was excited to see friends Terri and Louie arrive at mile 18. Brady and the kids and decided to stay in the hotel as long as possible to avoid the kids struggling in the heat. Having Terri and Louie there provided me a sense of comfort.
Miles 21 - 30
6 hours, 59 minutes
These were some of the hardest of the entire race. It just seemed to take forever to get to 30 miles. The sun came out in a fierce and unyielding way. I got really hungry, but Terri was there to rescue me with a turkey sandwich. I dealt with the heat by pouring my water over my head and back. It helped a lot. I decided I was going to reward myself at mile 34 with a foot care stop. That kept me going. With something to look forward to that was not far off, I focused on it each loop.
Miles 31 - 40
9 hours, 30 minutes
At mile 30 I saw a beautiful thing! My family had arrived. I was so excited to see my car coming down the road. It was a huge pick up for my spirits. I wasn't struggling without them, but knowing they were there was huge. Brady even brought me a hamburger and a Diet Coke from McDonald's. It was the best! Brady unloaded the car, set up their tent, and got to work being my crew chief. He told me to stop going to the aid station. He had my food and water ready for me each time I came through. It was amazingly efficient. He would give me a small cup of food and I would eat and walk the short .25 mile hill out of the aid station. When I was finished, I would run the rest of the loop. He mixed up the food with fruit, cookies, nuts, candy and anything specific I asked for. He also had my water filled and ready so I didn't have to wait for that either.
At mile 34 I sat down for the first time. I had spent many miles on the dirt/gravel path next to the asphalt. My feet were really dirty. I washed them, covered them in Aquaphor, changed socks, and got back on the path. It was great to see I didn't have a hot spot or any feet issues. I felt great. I stayed on the asphalt after the sock change. I didn't want to push my luck.
In these miles I started having some difficulty getting my breath. It was a struggle to run comfortably. I was really hot and tired. I spent one entire loop walking and focusing on my breathing. I also prayed. I thanked God for helping me to be strong and injury free. I prayed that he would continue to bless this journey. After this recovery/reflection loop, I felt a lot better and was thankful I had taken the time to do it.
Miles 41 - 50
12 hours, 11 minutes
These miles were a blur of running, Brady helping me, and my kids' smiles. I was in a great place. The sun had relented some and it was cooling down. I couldn't wait for mile 50 and the arrival of my pacers. I focused on that often. I spent several miles with Ed in this part of the race. He was pushing a cart with all his supplies on it. He was walking a lot at a great pace and I wanted to practice that pace for later when running became more difficult. I shared with Ed that I wasn't hurting yet. He said, "that means you are ready and trained for this!" It meant a lot to hear that. Before I knew it, I was half way finished!
Miles 51 - 60
14 hours, 38 minutes
At mile 50 Mimi came out and ran with me. It was so cute because she had been asking me all day when she could run with me. She had on her cute little running skirt and new shoes. I loved that my daughter was sharing miles with me. Unfortunately, she had also just eaten 2 pieces of pizza. Running and a full tummy didn't work out so well. We ended up needing to slow down and drag her through the loop. She was a happy camper at mile 52 when she got to sit down. Mile 50 was also the first time I met Janine, one of the pacers that so graciously came out to help me. After many miles of running alone or off and on with other runners, it was great to have someone that stayed with me and was there to talk to me. Getting to know her really helped those miles fly by.
![]() |
| Mimi was wiped out after pacing me for 2 miles. |
That is how it went for the next 10 miles. I had 5 pacers (plus Brady), and each one took turns on a 2 mile loop. I had a new, fresh, smiling face for each of these loops. It was so fun to get to know them and tick the miles off. We flew through them and were at mile 60 before I knew it.
Miles 61 - 70
17 hours, 7 minutes
I don't remember a lot about this portion of the race. It was dark and I witnessed a lot of people starting the death march. It seemed a lot of people were sleeping or sitting at the aid station. I tried to ignore them and keep moving. I refused to even think about stopping. Brady kept helping the girls crew for me. They had everything I needed each time I passed through.
![]() |
| My personal aid station |
Miles 71 - 80
19 hours, 51 minutes
Some time in this portion of the race I noticed my stomach starting to revolt and get upset. I started to regret the huge amount of fruit I had eaten throughout the day. I was in significant pain, but kept moving. I took another foot care stop and Eva was amazing and helped me lube my feet back up. You gotta love a pacer that was a stranger in the morning that is rubbing your sore and dirty feet by midnight.
Miles 81 - 90
23 hours, 10 minutes
As soon as I passed 80 miles there was a monkey off my back. That Nanny Goat regret was gone. With the exception of my upset stomach, I felt very strong. I knew that I would be able to finish this. I had hours to finish and less than 20 miles to go.
I was dry heaving every couple of miles and visiting the portapotty more often than was comfortable, but I was moving. I was moving well. The girls kept me laughing and focusing on everything but the lurching going on in my guts.
As I look back on it now, I am amazed at how mentally strong I was. I never even considered sleeping or stopping for a rest. I never considered sitting in the chair that mockingly called out to me (I swear it was) every time I passed it. I knew that the only thing that would end the pain was to finish. Thoughts of the finish and the buckle kept me going.
Miles 91 - 100.5
25 hours, 39 minutes, 49 seconds
The last ten miles were amazing. I still hurt, but with each step I grew happier and more confident. I knew I had killed it. I knew I wasn't going to just survive this, I was going to conquer it. Brady and Michele would con me into running when I didn't want to and for longer than I agreed to. Somehow my feet and legs always responded. Sometimes my stomach did too, with a violent heaving session on the course. My chest hurt from the heaving and difficulties I had with breathing. I never wavered the desire to finish. We were women (and a man) on a mission. A mission for a buckle.
![]() |
| Eva, Mimi, Chryl, Brady, and Michele. Sharon was on the course with me. This is the most amazing pace team EVER! |
At mile 98 Ed had just finished. He asked if he could run my last lap with me. I was so honored that he wanted to do that. We crossed 99 and then 100 (the course is actually 100.5 total miles) and he reminded me of how far I had come.
![]() |
| Team Wentlandt and The Jester - Mile 99 |
Mimi was skipping and enjoying herself. Colby was miserable from a lack of sleep and running 20 miles with Ed the night before. In true Jester style, he gave Colby a piggy back ride. Mile 99.75 I decided we were going to run it in. I ran the last quarter of a mile into the finish line. The cowbell, the clapping, and the smiles of so many friends and ultra heroes were the blur I came into. My cheeks hurt from smiling and the tears flowed. I did it. I did it well. I didn't just survive to drag my sorry ass across the finish. I finished strong and can't wait to do it again.
![]() |
| Ed and the Jester Buckle |
![]() |
| Rajeev, the most amazing Race Director, congratulating me on my finish |
100.5 miles
528,000 feet
5 pacers, plus a crew chief and 2 junior crew members
3 visits to the chair for foot care
No sleep
1 Jester buckle - featuring my inspiration, Ed "The Jester" Ettinghausen
25 hours, 39 minutes, 49 seconds
A dream I worked for and achieved









Love this...I really got tears in my eyes reading this! Thanks for sharing, but what's 5 hours, 39 minutes, 49 seconds? I see above your picture?
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you at Disneyland! SO proud of you!
Oh geez, that is a mistake. I read this thing 50 times and thought I had found them all. It should be 25 hours, 39 minutes, 49 seconds. Disneyland is my favorite of the year! Can't wait to see you too!
DeleteI love this race report. Thank you so much for sharing - particularly each segment of time and miles. Great time, BTW! I aspire to your accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much!
DeleteCongratulations you worked so hard and to hear you finished strong that is just wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It is a tough journey, but oh so worth the hurt :)
DeleteShawna, you are an amazing woman, and one helluva Ultra-chick! Love the race report. And welcome to the 100 mile club. Now go get yourself another one of those shiny buckle thingies.
ReplyDeleteHaha Ed. Thanks! I am proud to be part of the club now! I will always be most proud of the Jester buckle, but can't wait to get some more! See you out there!
DeleteNice report! Awesome Job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Doc!
Delete